Satellite Images Reveal Iran's Naval Forces and Nuclear Facilities Targeted by Joint US and Israeli Airstrikes.
Multiple joint strikes has according to analysis eliminated or harmed a minimum of 11 Iranian naval vessels since Saturday, recently obtained satellite images show, with missile bases and nuclear sites also coming under fire.
Pictures of the southern Konarak naval base and the Bandar Abbas facility, which is located on the strategic Hormuz Strait and houses the headquarters of the Iranian navy, reveal smoke billowing from multiple ships on recent days.
Naval Forces Incurred Major Damage
Included in the targets eliminated was the Makran, Iran's most sizable ship which had served as a drone carrier. Satellite images displayed thick smoke pouring from the ship which had been stationed at the Bandar Abbas naval base.
Intelligence reports suggest that no fewer than a quintet of warships at the port were "struck or destroyed". Photos of the south end of the port reveal smoke emanating from the IRINS Makran, while additional ships seem to be harmed, with one of them seen burning.
At the Konarak base, photos display multiple damaged vessels, with expert review identifying strikes against a half-dozen warships. Images taken on Monday also show that multiple buildings at the base have been demolished.
"For decades the Tehran government has disrupted global maritime traffic," an American commander said. "Today, there is no vessel from Iran operational in the Arabian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz or Gulf of Oman, and we will persist."
Some vessels reportedly sunk may have been obscured in aerial photos by cloud or smoke, or struck at sea, and have not been independently verified. Separate reports suggested that an Iranian vessel was going down near Sri Lankan waters, leading to a rescue operation.
Missile Installations and Nuclear Locations Attacked
The destruction of Iranian missile bases and the hindering of nuclear weapons development were listed as additional objectives of the air campaign. Aerial imagery also revealed damage at the southern Khorgu base and northwestern Tabriz facilities, and at the Konarak base, where weapons bunkers and fortifications were targeted.
At the Choqa Balk-e unmanned aircraft site west of the city of Kermanshah, extensive destruction was observed to storage buildings, bunkers and UAV launching apparatus.
Impact was also seen at a radar installation at the Zahedan military airport in eastern Iran, close to the border with neighboring nations.
Perhaps most notably, the latest wave of strikes have apparently targeted sites at the Natanz complex – long said to be at the center of Iran's atomic program. The UN's atomic energy body said that the affected buildings were used for entry to the facility's underground nuclear plant and that "no release of radioactive material" was expected.
Broader Consequences and Assessment
Observers indicated that the offensive appeared to have "largely neutralized" the Iran's naval capability to carry out conventional attacks using its biggest vessels. However, it was stressed that Tehran still has the capacity to launch irregular strikes at sea through the use of drones, mini-submarines and its so-called "shadow fleet" of tankers.
The full extent of the destruction caused to Iran's defense facilities is still uncertain, with strikes said to be ongoing. Pictures also indicates extensive destruction to the main offices of the the IRGC in the city of Tehran.
Numerous of civilian buildings also seem to have been hit in the capital city and across the country since the fighting started. Reports of deaths from ground sources suggest that many hundreds of non-combatants may have been fatally injured in the bombardment.
As the situation develops, review of satellite imagery will continue to assess the evolving battlefield picture.